Single-entry transit visa is issued to the citizens of Italy, citizens of other countries and persons without citizenship for an entry to the Russian Federation with a purpose of travelling in transit through the Russian Federation territory for a period up to 10 days (by road or railway) or for period up to 3 days (by air) based on tickets valid for exit from the Russian Federation, a visa allowing an entry into a neighbouring country according to the itinerary, a visa of a destination country or a passport of this country.
A transit visa is issued to a foreign citizen travelling thorough the territory of the Russian Federation by a private vehicle or a truck for a period necessary for a travel by a shortest route (but for no more than 10 days). The visa duration is calculated in this case based on an average supposed daily mileage, which is 500 km.
Double-entry transit visa duration may not exceed one month. In case when a foreign citizen needs to travel through the Russian Federation to a third country and then return by the same way through the Russian Federation in a period exceeding one month, it is necessary to obtain a single-entry transit visa, the second transit visa must be obtained in a Russian Consulate of a destination country.
A transit visa is not needed:
– in case of a non-stop air transport flight over the Russian Federation territory;
– in case of a change of planes in an airport of the Russian Federation with a transit area, providing a subsequent flight to a destination country is executed within 24 hours from the arrival date to the Russian Federation.
IMPORTANT! If you are planning to leave the transit area, a transit visa must be obtained!
Please note! After the Eurasian Economic Union Treaty came into force, all trips between the member-countries are considered to be domestic. Therefore, one must go through the border and passport control only in one of these countries. Due to this reason the passengers heading to the member countries with a transfer in Russia must obtain a transit visa.
All passengers requiring a visa must satisfy the following general requirements:
– Passengers requiring a visa who are travelling to/from Minsk (Belarus) in transit via Sheremetyevo must hold a Russian transit visa. Passengers travelling Moscow – Minsk – Moscow require a double transit visa.
– Flights from Moscow to Simferopol are domestic. Visa passengers need to obtain a Russian visa.
– It is not possible to travel with a double transit through the Russian Federation without a Russian visa.
In order to apply for ordinary single-entry or double-entry transit visas, one must submit:
- The tickets valid for an entry and an exit from the Russian Federation.
- A visa allowing entry to a neighbouring country according to the itinerary, a visa to a destination country, a passport of this country or motivated request and the documents, confirming the necessity of a stop, except if otherwise provided in an international agreement. A visa is not required for the citizens of countries with a visa-free entry to a neighbouring country or a destination country in compliance with the existing agreements between them.
- Passport with no less than 2 empty pages for visas, valid for 6 months from the visa expiry date;
- Visa application form filled in on the website kdmid.ru, printed and signed personally by the applicant;
(When choosing the location where you will be applying for your visa, it is necessary to indicate the Visa Center where you are planning to submit the documents).
- Colour photography according to the photo specifications. At the Russian visa center in Rome or Milan you may ask for the additional service “Express Photo”;
- Medical insurance policy valid on the territory of Russian Federation and during the validity of the visa, except for the mutual insurance cases.
Medical insurance policy must contain:
- contract date;
- policy number;
- first name, last name and father’s name of a policy holder;
- details of the insurer;
- a policy must be valid during the whole stay in the Russian Federation in case of single- or multiple-entry visa for period up to 90 days;
- list of medical and medical transportation services including repatriation of remains;
- coverage territory – the whole world or the Russian Federation; Europe, including Russia;
- signature of the insurer.
Insurance policies, letters of confirmation from insurance organizations not containing the above-mentioned information, set forms with stamps of the insurance companies and other insurance documents not fulfilling the indicated requirements are not considered.
- Power of Attorney (in case of submitting documents/collecting passport with ready visa by a third party);
- If you are not a citizen of Italy, you must also submit:
- A permit for a continuous stay in Italy for more than 90 days for citizens of the following countries: Albania, Bahrain, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Georgia, Haiti, Ireland, Japan, Lesotho, Libya, Macedonia, Mali, Mexico, New Zealand, Oman, Republic of Korea, Republic of South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Venezuela.
According to the national legislation of Italy, a residence permit issued based on a corresponding visa serves as a document based on which a foreign citizen may continuously stay in the country for more than 90 days.
- Italy Permanent Resident Card (Permesso di soggiorno per soggiornanti di lungo periodo) for the citizens of the following countries: Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Bangladesh, Chad, China, DPRK, Ethiopia, Iraq, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Rwanda, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Syria, Vietnam.
Please note! Consulate institution reserves a right to request additional documents for visa processing, invite for an interview or extend the duration of a visa processing.
For the citizens of Italy and the European Union
Single-, double-entry visa
4-10 business days
1-3 business days
Please note! If you are a person without citizenship or you are not a citizen of Italy or the European Union, please specify the fee charged for your visa by contacting an operator of a call-centre.
Visa processing fees and time schedules for the citizens of other countries and persons without citizenship are calculated according to “Consular fees of the consular institutions of the Russian Federation”.